[TagCommons-WG] Rel-tag

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at google.com
Wed Mar 7 15:16:47 PST 2007

On 3/7/07, Harry Halpin <hhalpin at ibiblio.org> wrote:

> I'd like to draw focus onto rel-tag as a common starting place.
>
> I might add, if we're interested in data-formats like RDF, GRDDL gives one
> a way to bootstrap rel-tag data automatically into RDF (if we can get
> rel-tag to get a profile URI)..

Could you use

*http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag-profile

*

Tom mentioned to me offline that there were a host of problems with
> rel-tag. Could someone iterate through them for me?

yes, I'd like to hear them too

The main problem seems to be that there's not too much there, it's just a
> (a) between the page you are on and (b) the target of a link.
>
> It's clearly missing, say, who tagged the page. However, the great thing
> about RDF is you can just underspecify things.

your RDF tuple would be

[url of tagged page] *http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag-profile
http://tagspace.com/[tag]
*

What I'd like to do is to build a sort of "layer-cake" for tags, where at
> the bottom somewhere is the very basic data between between a page, a
> tagged relationship, and it's tagged data. This could easily be put in an
> API/RDF/XML.
>
> Then, we can look at common services and see what else they provide, like
> identity of who tagged the page, time of tagging, language, etc. And then
> add these in as "slots".
>
> But first things first! Can we support the relationship of a tag as
> between "one URI" and "another URI".
>
> Since in SemWeb world "one URI" could mean a person, then this mechanism
> wouldn't necessarily exclude the idea of "people tagging pages" which I
> think is much more intuitive than rel-tag's idea of "pages tagging pages".

no, it's pages having tags - see above. The URL defines the tag.

Then we can move up to deal with more complex cases like xFolk, Annotea